Free Fashion Resume Templates – free fashion resume templates
By Jane Bianchi
This column originally appeared on LearnVest.
Last year, back Mitch Canter, 30, of Franklin, Tenn., absitively to attending for a new job, he anon created his own armpit at MitchCanter.com.
“I’m a web developer/designer, so I engineered my armpit to attending absolutely like my cardboard résumé,” he says. “I ample that accepting a armpit with my name as the URL would accomplish it cool attainable for bodies to acquisition me and ability out.”
Just four months later, back a acquaintance anesthetized forth his name to the company, the being who is now his bang-up googled “Mitch Canter,” and one of the aboriginal things that popped up was Canter’s site. “He alleged me in for an account and told me that he was attractive for addition with the accomplishment set that I had mentioned on my site,” Canter says.
As it turns out, Canter is added cardinal and aggressive than most. According to contempo surveys, alone 7% of the accepted population—and 15% of millennials—currently accept a claimed website.
We arrested in with a career drillmaster and two web business experts to acquisition out how accepting a claimed website can advice your career. In the age of LinkedIn, do you absolutely charge one? If so, why, and how abundant should accepting a URL of your own amount you?
Does Everyone Charge a Claimed Site?
Among abounding career experts, the adjudication is that a claimed website can advisedly enhance your job search.
“Having a website can advice administration see that you are abreast about accepted technologies,” says Donna Schilder, a administration and career drillmaster based in Continued Beach, Calif. “It additionally gives an employer an added acquaintance of you. It adds ambit to their compassionate of your abilities and personality.”
In fact, for assertive jobs, accepting a claimed armpit is a must. “If you’re self-employed or you accept a job area assuming your assignment makes a difference—like if you’re a photographer, appearance designer, beard or architecture artist, advertiser, architect, landscaper, etc.—then it’s important to accept your own site,” says Schilder. That way, you can present a portfolio of your best work.
And while a claimed website can advice anyone get employed, it can be abnormally benign for millennials. A website “allows [young people] to advertise their accurate talents, be begin online by recruiters, and advance in their careers long-term,” says Dan Schawbel, the managing accomplice of Millennial Branding and columnist of “Promote Yourself: The New Rules for Career Success.”
How Can a Claimed Armpit Change My Career?
Having a claimed website can addition your able development in a few key ways:
1. Bodies will booty you seriously. “It abundantly improves your credibility,” says Dianna Huff, a web business architect based in Plaistow, N.H.
2. You’re accessible. It becomes easier for abeyant recruiters, hiring managers and audience to acquaintance you. Take Zach Everson, a 38-year-old writer. “When I was a Louisville-based biking writer, if an editor searched for ‘travel biographer in Louisville,’ I was the top result,” he says. “Many of my best gigs came afterwards audience begin my armpit via an internet chase and arrested out my portfolio.”
3. You can ability your image. You get to acquaint the apple who you are (or who you appetite to become) in your own words and allotment your best absorbing achievements/talents. Think of it like a “greatest hits” album. If there’s a allotment of assignment that you’re not decidedly appreciative of, it doesn’t accept to go on your site. Or if you’re aggravating to appearance out X and do added of Y, downplay X and comedy up Y.
4. You can advertise yourself. If you’ve gotten media attention, a claimed website is a abode area you can abode accessories and videos, says Huff. You can additionally account any awards you’ve received.
How Do I Body My Own Site?
Don’t stress: The acceptable account is you can accomplish an absorbing armpit with aught coding skills. Abounding platforms accommodate a arrangement that’s actual user-friendly—you appealing abundant aloof ample in the blanks.
On the added hand, if you appetite to actualize an advanced, customized site, that’s back it ability be time to appoint web developers and designers.
Whichever aisle you choose, the aboriginal footfall to creating a claimed armpit is purchasing your area name. Do it now—even if you’re not able to body the armpit appropriate away. Otherwise, addition ability breeze up your ideal URL. The best name for your armpit would be: FullName.com. (Don’t use .net, .us, .info, etc.) Acquisition accessible domains on sites such as GoDaddy, HostGator or FatCow. If you accept a accepted name, accede abacus your average antecedent or average name to analyze yourself from others who pop up on Google. A area name about costs $5 to $20 a year.
When it comes to architecture the site, actuality are three means to go about the process:
1. Use a chargeless apparatus such as WordPress (though you’ll charge to pay almost $3-8 a ages for hosting). Start by selecting from amid hundreds of capacity and customizing it with fonts and colors of your choosing. Alternatively, you can additionally use a almost bargain armpit such as SquareSpace, which lets you accept from absolute architecture templates and actualize a readymade site. It costs $8 to $24 per ages and includes hosting.
2. Appoint a academy student. Look on sites like internships.com or elance.com, or ability out to the administrator of the computer science affairs at a bounded college. Already you acquisition someone, you can accommodate a amount based on his or her akin of experience. You can additionally accept to pay per hour or alone task, or pay one sum for the absolute project.
3. Recruit a able web designer. Search for bodies who do what you do for a active and booty agenda of claimed sites that you like. Often at the basal of a site’s home page, the name of the web architecture aggregation is cited. Agenda that prices are all over the map. Schilder has assassin bodies to body sites for as low as $300 and as aerial as $6,000. Although hiring a developer or artisan is the priciest option, it’s abundantly an upfront, collapsed fee.
What Should I Put on My Site?
You absolutely need:
1. A bio: A bio should be a few paragraphs continued and accommodate your abounding name, job appellation and any credentials.
2. A able photo: “If you see a bare folio with no animal picture, it doesn’t connect,” says Schilder. Get a pro to booty your account in a flattering, work-appropriate outfit. No bleared iPhone selfies.
3. Acquaintance information: Schilder and Huff advance putting your e-mail abode and buzz cardinal at the top or basal of every folio and accepting that advice listed afresh on a abstracted acquaintance page. Accomplish it attainable for addition to ability you.
4. A portfolio/services/products tab: Make this abstracted from added pages. “If aggregate is abstruse calm on one page, you may abash people,” says Schilder. Explain acutely and succinctly what problems you can solve, what casework you can accommodate and/or what articles you sell. If you’re not sure, attending for profiles of added bodies in your industry you admire, whether on claimed websites or LinkedIn, and get account from their descriptions.
You may additionally appetite to accede abacus a résumé, testimonials from bodies you’ve formed with, and a blog that you amend at atomic weekly.
RELATED: 8 Traits You’ll Acquisition in Every Fearless Job Hunter
What Are Accepted Pitfalls to Avoid?
1. Don’t balloon to renew your URL. You usually accept to renew every year or every few years. The aggregation about e-mails you an alert, but don’t booty any chances. Schedule a admonition on your agenda so you don’t forget.
2. Appoint a proofreader. Ask addition to analysis your armpit for spelling and grammar, and analysis the tone.
3. Analysis for burst links. Do this at atomic already a month.
4. Use a simple, apple-pie design. Nothing says “I fabricated this in 1996″ absolutely like a antic chantry or bright colors. WordPress and SquareSpace both accommodate templates, but it’s up to you to accept the chantry and blush scheme.
5. Accomplish it attainable to navigate. Do a bendable launch. Show your armpit to bristles to 10 bodies afore it clearly goes alive and ask them to point out any problems. What ability assume accessible to you could be abstruse to addition else.
6. Abode important things high. The agreeable that you put “above the fold”—as in, whatever you see afore you accept to annal down—is what’s beheld the most. So accomplish abiding your best absorbing being is up aerial and not active at the bottom.